Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Apple Pie Oatmeal in my Slow Cooker

Christmas is coming!  Bet you knew that already...*sigh* and I am so far behind already.  No cookies made, no presents wrapped and the house only half decorated.  But on the plus side I already know what I am making for Christmas morning breakfast!

I have wanted to test the slow cooker method of making oatmeal for a while and last night seemed like a perfect time to do it.  And I sure am glad that I did.

When I posted on FB this morning about making it... "I made apple pie oatmeal in the slow cooker last night.  Not only did I get to smell it all night long but I got to wake up to a ready made breakfast!  It's a good day..." I ended up with many recipe requests for this.  So hence the hasty post!



Apple Pie Oatmeal in the Slow Cooker

I made a double batch because I wanted it to last more than one day but this is the single batch which will feed 4 easily.

Ingredients:
  • 3 Cups of water
  • 1 Cup of Steel Ground Oats
  • 2 apples peeled and diced
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon or apple pie spice

Directions:  
  • Using a 3 quart or larger slow cooker combine all ingredients
  • Allow to cook on low for 5-6 hours.  (I woke up during the night and turned it onto the warm setting and allowed it to sit the rest of the night but it could have easily cooked the night.)
  • Serve with butter, brown sugar and a little bit of milk

***Love, love, love this recipe and will be making it again and again.  I would love to try adding raisins and cardamom, dried apricots,  or any other dried fruit.



3 comments:

Sarah with an "h" said...

Mmm!! I shall have to try this. Thanks for posting!

:o)Sarah
restlessromantic.blogspot.com

Aggie said...

Oh love this! I recently made a pumpkin pie version in the slow cooker and loved it. Will try this for sure!
Merry Christmas to you and the fam Judy!

Anonymous said...

So simple! I adore my slow cooker - can't wait to try this one. :)